Debbie Diller has revolutionized literacy instruction in countless classrooms over the years with her seminal books (Literacy Work Stations, Practice with Purpose, and Spaces & Places) on how to effectively use literacy work stations to engage students in critical literacy learning. In Growing Independent Learners, she provides a comprehensive guide—with more than 400 full-color photos—to help you plan instruction focused on literacy standards, organize your classroom for maximum benefit, and lead your students to independence through whole-group lessons, small-group focus, and partner learning at literacy stations. The first four chapters lay the foundation with planning, organizing, and instruction that are essential for success with literacy work stations. From creating a model classroom and developing planning tools to using anchor charts, Debbie gives you creative ideas for making the most of your classroom environment to support student independence.
Later chapters focus on standards-based instruction built around key reading, writing, and foundational skills as well as speaking, listening, and language standards. Each of these chapters provides the following:
- Detailed explanations of each focal standard's importance and real-world application
- Planning tools that include academic vocabulary, plans for whole-group instruction, and suggestions for literacy work stations
- Complete whole-group lesson plans that you can use and modify again and again
- Connections to help you extend the lessons into other areas of daily instruction, including independent reading time, small-group instruction, and work stations
- Mentor texts to use during whole group, small group, or stations
- Teaching tips that can help build skills from grade to grade.
Growing Independent Learners will help you create a vibrant classroom filled with independent learners. This book will quickly become an essential resource for any teacher who believes, as Debbie does, that all children can learn to work independently in a classroom that's well organized and mindfully planned.